Select

Hey Guys!

I know today is not one of my posting days but as I told you yesterday I am here to tell about this book that actually comes out today. In todays post I will be talking about Select by Marit Weisenberg. I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange of an honest review, so thanks to them and to the publisher for granting my wish.
Select is a YA novel in which we follow Julia a 17-year-old girl who is part of super-human race that has better senses and some even have powers. The thing is that they have to keep a low profile because when they dont they are pursued and there was this time that they were even almost extremized; thats why there are so many rules about not showing up in public but Julia does and she is punished by being forced to go to public school.

This book was a interesting read and reminded me of the first YA books that I read: Twilight and Shadowhunters; in a way, it has some similitudes with it but is somehow different still. I enjoyed that story overall but I have also some issues with it.

The story was kind of slow. For almost half of the book barely nothing happened so the first half is hard to read. But then the second half starts and everything improves, there are so many things happen so fast. It might have been better if all the action instead of happening in the second half was more spread through all the book.

The writing was average: not that good but not that bad either. It was simple and effective. I liked how it worked for Julia, as the book it´s told in the first person.

Regarding the characters I think there is a huge difference between the main character and the secondarys. While Julia, the main character, is extremely well portrayed and it´s obvious that there has been a work behind her creation, that cannot be say about the rest. For instance, there is this character that is the bad guy just for the shake of having a bad guy; there is no justification for him. We dont get to know many of the characters that are important for the story. I mean the one that we know the best is John and he remains an enigma after reading the book.

The relationship of Julia with all the characters seem too forced and even when I like her I think she is kind of stupid making the same mistake over and over again. The relationships are very plain. My biggest issue was the relationship with John as it was instalove and I found that to be very annoying.
The world building was not that good. It was not very necessary, because they live in a world that is exactly that ours, but with the fact that they have superhumans living among them. The thing is that all that we learn about this superhumans is what we learn when John learns about it. This I didnt like it, as Julia is the main character and it´s obvious that she knows way more that she is letting John know.

Despite all the issues that I might have with the book I have fun reading it, and there is this plot twist that hook me. I am really looking forward to read the next book so I can learn what is going to happen next.


Overall, I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars and I will recommend it for all the fans of paranormal romance and Twilight.

That was all for today.


See you all next Monday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historias y Leyendas de los Cuatro Reinos. El Báculo Sagrado

El economista romántico

Un retelling del mito del hilo rojo