The Novice

Hey guys!

I am back and so are English reviews. Today's review its about a book that I loved and that highly recoment. I have been raving non-stop on Instagram and even got Erin from @the.word.traveler to buy the book because of my crazy fingerling. I will be talking about The Novice by Taran Matharu who seems to be pretty nice guy as he liked and commented on one of my instagram post. 

I picked this book up because I am participating in a month along redathon in which by reading books that are part of a series you get more points than reading stand alones, so this was a pretty good way off getting as many points as possible for my team. I certainly was not expecting to like this book as much as I did. But those kind of suprises are always welcome. 

The Novice tells the story of Fletcher an orphan boy who has been raised by the blacksmith of the town. He is given a book and he discovers the has the ability to summon demos, but as his first summoning doesn't go as planned he has to escape and end up in The Volcans a magical school that teaches how to summon and control demons. And this year whoever ends up winning the Tournament will be handled a sit in the Kings Concil. 

This book is amazing for so many reasons, but mostly because its really rich and its extremely fun to read. I am happy of mob choice of book that's for sure. Is one of those stories that becomes and unexpected favorite. And I am pretty sure that it will end up, at least among my favourites of this quarter of the year. 

The world building was magnificent but at the same time very smart. The action starts pretty soon in the book, in fact the first scene is Fletcher Hunting and then going into a fight with Diedric, the son of the most powerful man in town. But you don't discover all that through tedious descriptions which is what is usually done for world building. Instead Taran Matharu builds the word as it goes, and we discover and learn the things as we need to learn them. I think this adds up to the fun factor of the book because you need to be constantly paying attention to learn as much as you can. 

And its not that the story is lacking in some other way, but the fact is that it is so entertaining that you want to keep reading until you are done with it. Another factor that contributed to that feeling is that the author is extremely good at cliffhangers so every chapter ended with one. But the mother of all cliffhangers is the one at the end go the book. Trust me if I tell you that you will need the second book right away. 

However the thing I enjoyed the most were the characters. I really liked Fletcher, he seems like a really nice guy and he actually is one. I like how through this main character some issues as important as racism are del whithin the book. I love when fantasy is used as a tool to make us reflect about current social problems. 

I liked all the characters. I mean, I even liked the ones that are supposed to be more villanous thoughtcrimes out this first book. I think that's because you feel them to be nasty but you can understand really easy why they are being so nasty. 

I also love the whole demon thing and I want to have a salamander just like Ignatus. He is the cutest, thing ever. I like twist to the demons being good instead just been intrinsically evil just because they are demons. I think is a really interesting concept and actually having the magic system based on them is quite original. 

Last but not lest, I love this book because it gave me the felling of rereading Harry Potter without actually doing so. I don't mean to say that the books are copies from one an other, but that you get some sort of Harry Potter vibe while reading this book. 


I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars and I will really recomend you to read it if you have the chance. Its super funny and you'll be so hooked that won't be able so stop. Trust me on this one. 

See you all on my next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historias y Leyendas de los Cuatro Reinos. El Báculo Sagrado

El economista romántico

Un retelling del mito del hilo rojo