Daugther of the Pirate King


Hey guys!

Another Monday I am ready to tell you about my readings and today I will be talking about the first audiobook that I heart in English: Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller.

I have been meaning to read this book for a while but never finding a paperback I have been refraining myself from buying it. At the end I have started a Scribd subscription and it was the first title I decided to listen to. I do no regret it. The story was entertaining and while in the beach it was perfect to be picturing ships and pirates. Plus, the narrator was great. This is not the first audiobook I heard, but those that I have listen were told in Spanish which is my mother tongue.

In this book we follow Alosa, who is the daughter of the Pirate King himself. She has to infiltrate in an enemy ship in order to find a part of map that will lead the pirates to Isla de Canto. The island is a siren realm in which they keep riches from past ages.  So Alosa infiltrates the Nightfarer to find the map but thing proves to be more difficult that she though they might be at the beginning.

I liked the book but that doesn’t mean that I don’t think that it has it flaws. I will be breaking the whole thing down for you in the following paragraphs but don’t worry if you don’t want to be spoiled because this review will be spoiler free.

I must recognize that first chapter are not the best that I have ever came across. In fact, I even consider to DNF the book and went for something different. In fact, I consider Alosa to be very annoying. She keeps saying how great she is and how she keeps refraining herself. This made me extremely annoyed because as I have said several times I am not idiot and I do not need thing to be constantly reminded to me. It´s okay if in a battle scene the author would tell how she did refrain on order to give a wrong idea to her captors. However, when even when Alosa is on her cell, the fact that she is in there because she wants to and because she refrained herself is been repeated is annoying and I wanted to punch her.

Don’t get me wrong because besides that fact I did enjoyed Alosa as a character. Nowadays we get ton of female protagonist who say that they are strong; however, this is only word and is not later demonstrated with actions. In this case it´s said with word but also through the actions of the main character and that was something that I deeply enjoyed. In fact, I really liked reading from Alosa´s perspective, she is fun, and she doesn’t mind speaking her mind. And most of all I loved how she is finding her place in a mens´ world.

As for the rest of the characters of the book they were great. I enjoyed that they were different from each other and from what I am used to read. I especially enjoyed Riden, because he is much more that he let everyone see and I really liked Draxen. But I have to say that my favourite out of all of them is Kearan; I do hope I get to see more of him in the next book.

The plot was great, and I keep me wanting to keep listening once I went through the first 5 chapters. It went places I didn’t expected and I was highly surprised and pleased.

Regarding the world building I will say that is interesting as it´s slow and only letting us see some small glimpses. However, this works perfectly for the story.


Overall, I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars and I will highly recommend it if you are looking for a pirate/sirens story. I myself am looking forward to go on with the story so you can wait for a review of the next book in the duology very soon.

See you all in my next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historias y Leyendas de los Cuatro Reinos. El Báculo Sagrado

El economista romántico

Un retelling del mito del hilo rojo