Dorothy must die!

Hey guys!

Last week on my Wrap Up I promised that a full review of Dorothy must die! Was coming and I am a woman of my Word. I was really looking forward to read this book and, as you might know my friend Noe and I have an online book club and this was the book for the month of January.

Dorothy must die! Had been under my radar for quite some time and be able to finally read it was really nice. Specially because it was one of the few books that did not disappointed me in January.
The story it´s amazing and it´s a: “What happened in Oz after the happily ever after?”. The answer is quite easy: Dorothy found a way back and became a tyrant. Then another girl from Kansas, Amy, is recruited by The Revolutionary Order of the Wicked, to save Oz.

Truth to be told, the story, beginning with the concept it´s really original; and even as I was looking forward to read it and heard fantastic reviews about the book, I was very pleasantly surprised. I was expecting for a fun story I was expecting a book full of the typical YA clichés and even when there is some cliché, this story is so much more than that. The first 100 pager were king of heavy however, as soon as the narration got rhythm everything flows amazingly.

What have I enjoyed the most? The characters. They are really good constructed and that´s a plus. But the best thing about them is that they got blood in their hands and, there is moments in which the novel is pretty brutal. But all the character do what they need to do in order to achieve their goals. There some scenes that are cruel but they help to understand who is the villain and who are the good guys. Yet you should not let the appereances guide you, because there is a whole scale of grays in this 
book.

I like the main character, Amy, though sometimes I felt that she was too big of a cliché. On the other hand, I really need to talk about Pete, which is a character that appears through all the novel but who we get so little information about; however, every single scene with him it´s among my favorites.

I have also loved Glamora, who as a character it´s a really nice surprise. And of course, I found to be extremely interested the part of Dorothy and all her friends in all of this.

The universe it´s not built by the author, but Danielle Paige use Oz as it was her own world and it´s nice to read. I have read other retellings and the authors use the universe in their own ways but not as good as Danielle Paige does. And one of the things that I have liked the most is the magic system that is tight to the world and that I won´t explain in further detail to not spoil you.



In my opinion, this book its quite complete and I gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars. I will recommend this book to everyone, especially to the people who loves a good fantasy story. I am really looking forward to read the rest of the books in the saga.

If you have enjoyed this post do not forget to follow the blog, you have the button in the upper right side. Or stay tuned to my social media (which you can find here) where I always say when there is a new post.


See you all next Wednesday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historias y Leyendas de los Cuatro Reinos. El Báculo Sagrado

El economista romántico

Un retelling del mito del hilo rojo