The Fire Sermon

Hello Everyone,

Last week I read The Fire Sermon by Francesca Haig and I thought it would be a good idea to write a spoiler free review for this book. So you can stay for the whole post because I am not going to do any spoiler.

I´ve had been meaning to read this book for quite a long time. I saw it on the book stores of my city and the cover was so appealing, so I was really looking to jump into it and get to know the characters and the world. I requested the second book for review and Simon & Schuster were kind enough to give me an early copy, which I am really grateful for. So as I got an early copy I thought it would be a great time to pick up The Fire Sermon.

The story is set in the future after the radiation have had destroyed the world as we know. The children now are always born as twins. One of the twins is physically perfect, the alfa; and the other one is born with some kind of mutation, the omega. The alfas are the rulers and treat the omegas as garbage. In this context we get to meet Cass and Zach, a pair of twins who pretty much are the ones who are going to change this world either for the best of for the worst.

I have a lot to say about this book; being the first one that actually I am very disappointed by it. I was expecting so much more because I´ve herd very good reviews of it but, for me even when the story had a very interesting premise the way it´s told was not the most appropriate in my opinion. Also, I was expecting a very beautiful writing style because apparently Francesca Haig actually wrote poetry before she debuted with this novel.

Moreover I was disappointed because this book treats with some serious issues but it´s more focus on the romance than in the issues that are been treated. But even when the romance was kind of the main focus not even that was to clarify. In that way and in many others the book was quite a mess: there were chapters in which everything was described with so much detail, and characters in which there were not descriptions at all. And they are so calm and all of the sudden there is an action sequel, 
which would not be bad to make the book to have some rhythm but the transactions are poorly done.

However there is something that keeps you reading and because of that and because I think that Francesca Haig have a lot space for improvement, I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars.

Have you read The Fire Sermon? If so, which are your thoughts? Leave a comment than below so we can discuss about it. And if, you like this post don´t forget to subscribe to the blog to being notices 
when a new post comes out.

And I know it´s Thursday, but tomorrow is my birthday and I don´t know if I will have any time to post. 

See you all soon. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historias y Leyendas de los Cuatro Reinos. El Báculo Sagrado

El economista romántico

Un retelling del mito del hilo rojo