Fallen Kingdoms

Hey guys!

Despite being Monday here I am. Today I am bringing you a review of another fantasy novel, because I love fantasy. Some Book Hauls ago I mention that my got the first book in the Fallen Kingdom Series and I was dying to read it. The thins is that despite me reading this book a few moons ago the review if only reaching you now, because I read too much and only post once a week.

Fallen Kingdoms is the first book in a series written by Morgan Rhodes, and as I have already said it´s a fantasy book. It follows several characters and somehow the lives of all of them are connected. There are 3 kingdoms that are in some short of cold war but when I nobleman kills a peasant the real war began, and two of the three kingdoms form an alliance to make the other one fall.

This novel it´s interesting and the plot is nice. However, I found that this book has not rhythm at all. The book is entertaining, I mean I read it in a couple of days, but the beginning was kind of boring.

Fallen Kingdoms has barely no action and the few action that is on the book is all towards the end. But this makes sense We are being introduce to a new world from which we know nothing about. There has to be a lot of world building in order for us to understand. There is good political intrigue, realms with magic and rules that we need to learn about.

We are also introduced to a cast of characters from different realms and all of the characters are different from each other. That is great actually. You can tell who is who only by the way they speak, and that indicates us that the author has actually make a great work regarding the character development. Plus, every single character has an arc and grows in different directions depending on their circumstances. I was very pleasantly surprise to see this within just one book and cannot wait to see how this will play in the following statements of the series.

Other of the great things of this book is that the author knows that not everything is black or white. There are a lot of shades of grey and they all come into play in this story.

The writing style is not pretty. It´s efficient.  Rhodes uses the words to tell a story not to create poetry. However, despite not being a particularly beautiful style, it has something that makes ou go deep into the story and felt it. I think that this is extremely positive, specially if we take into account what I said about the story being kind o slow at first.

The plot twists make the story richer but they all come at the end as the action does. The most interesting stuff is from the page 300 forward. This was my biggest issue with the book. However, thanks to that ending I am very much looking forward to going on with the series.

I ended up giving this book 3 out of 5 stars because despite liking it, I had some issues. I think I would have enjoyed more the book if only the action were more spread throughout all the book.


See you all in my next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historias y Leyendas de los Cuatro Reinos. El Báculo Sagrado

El economista romántico

Un retelling del mito del hilo rojo